Monday, November 23, 2009

Fun and Games

Yesterday I took Jenny and participated in a Fun and Games workshop with Dee Ganley. I had no idea what to expect. I went only with the intention of having some fun, and learning new things with my dog. I was not disappointed.


We played a variety of games including "My dog can do that" as well as drill team work, relay races, and tried a couple of scent discrimination exercises among other stuff. Funny enough I blew one of the scent exercises due to over thinking it and bad body language. Ironic considering my last post. The other involved a ball (pic below) and Jenny just isn't a ball driven dog. Now maybe if we smeared some blood on it......

Logan and Suzan above finding their ball.

A leave it exercise. (that's a Petite Basset Griffon Vendeen)

Another Logan moment.

Relay race!

And for anyone who thinks dressing a dog is easy:


I missed the best stuff. The dog in the video was pretty hysterical playing as she tried to dress her/him. Jenny stepped through the neck of her shirt on the way down our lane. She didn't care. It was cute.
A loose leash walking exercise/race.

The afternoon was Self Control and Focus games. It was full so I only audited that one. (all the better to get photos)

Another relay race with mat work.

Sumac and Phoebe above relaxing.

I didn't know everyones names. The dog above is a mix and the one below is a dutch shepherd.

And this pretty girl is Brina and I am obsessed with her. She is an American Staffordshire Terrier.
Seriously, I am her official stalker.



See what I mean? Gorgeous. And a wicked love bug to boot. I got some fabulous cuddle time in with her. (She's a leaner btw and her coat is super soft. I was even lucky enough to get a kiss.)

It was alot of fun and I thought Jenny did great. Especially considering we have never done anything remotely similar. And I have never done anything formal with her either. We went in only knowing some basics. Of course basics are the foundation for everything else so it worked very well for us. I don't think she has ever eaten that many treats in one day before in her life. Being a serious chow hound she thought that was pretty great.
I think a great time was had by all and I would totally do it again. I definitely learned a few things that will come in handy with both my dogs and with clients.

What do you mean we have to go home???

No comments: